A Special Enrollment Period is a special window of time during the year when you can enroll in health insurance coverage through Access Health CT. To get a Special Enrollment Period, you must prove that you have a Qualifying Life Event – and you will have 60 days from the date of that event to contact Access Health CT and begin your application process.
Please note that if you qualify for Medicaid/CHIP, or if you are an American Indian or Alaska Native, you can enroll any time of year.
A change in your life — like losing health coverage, getting married, having a baby or moving to Connecticut— that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.
COBRA is a federal law that may allow you to temporarily keep your health coverage after a qualifying event, such as job loss. If you choose COBRA continuation coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payments (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, and a small administrative fee.
• If you are being offered COBRA continuation coverage, there are some things you should know before you make a final decision. Access Health CT may offer a better, less expensive choice for you and your family.
• We recommend that you check your options with Access Health before choosing COBRA for these reasons:
o Access Health CT is the only place you can qualify for financial help to pay for health insurance.
o With COBRA coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payment (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, plus a small administrative fee.
o If you decide you want to end your COBRA coverage early, you are only eligible to enroll during the Annual Open Enrollment Period – unless you have a Qualifying Life Event.
• Online at AccessHealthCT.com
• By Phone at 1-855-805-4325
• In Person
Navigator Locations: Learn.AccessHealthCT.com/FindUs
AccessHealthCT.com and click “Find Help”
Enrollment Checklist: Have this information for yourself, and anyone in your household applying for insurance:
o Dates of Birth
o Social Security numbers
o Visa, green card or immigration documents
o Most recent W2 and/or Form 1040, Form 1099
o Paystubs, Profit & Loss statements or other employment information to confirm income for everyone in your tax household
NOTE: After you enroll, you may need to provide documents to confirm details in your application, like citizenship and income.
Before you pick a new plan, make sure you know how our plans work and what services are covered. Keep your own needs in mind – search for your doctors, prescription drugs and expected medical services before you apply.
Use Compare Plans to take into account your preferred doctors, prescription medications, and how frequently you use medical services – then compare health plans by:
• Monthly payments (premiums)
• Cost-sharing (what you pay for services/medicines)
• Doctors (or provider), prescription drug coverage and medical use.
• Once you’ve selected a plan, you will be asked to send proof of your Qualifying Life Event within 30 days. We have to verify that information before your application can be processed. More information here. • After you enroll, we may also ask for proof of other information in your application, such as your annual income or identity. Make sure that you respond to our requests for documents or information! More information here.
YES, and all help is free. You can visit our website at AccessHealthCT.com, contact us via Online Chat, or can call us 1-855-805-4325. If you need help picking a plan, call us and ask to speak to a certified broker who can help you choose the best plan for you and your family.