The Massachusetts Health Connector is focused on continuously improving the site’s accessibility for users with disabilities. If you use assistive technology, such as a screen reader, voice recognition software, a screen magnifier, or are a keyboard access-only user, and have difficulty completing activities on the Health Connector application, please contact Customer Service for assistance.
Call 1-877-623-6765, or TTY 1-877-623-7773 for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled.
Software Recommendations and Settings
We recommend using the current versions, or most recent the previous version, of the manufacturer’s assistive technology application, along with a current version of the Internet Explorer or Firefox web browser. The Massachusetts Health Connector website works best with the following browser and assistive technology combinations:
- Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 74 or Chrome 80 with JAWS 2019
- Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 74 or Chrome 80 with NVDA 2019.1
- Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 74 or Chrome 80 with ZoomText 2019 (PC)
- Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 74 or Chrome 80 with Dragon Naturally Speaking 15
Note: The Edge browser does not currently have enough support for JAWS or NVDA so it is not included in the recommended browser combinations.
- Safari 11 with VoiceOver
The main content area of the page can be reached by either using the “skip to main content” link at the top of the page, by navigating to the heading level 1, or by using the screen reader function keys to go to the main landmark region.
The content on pages is organized by headings. Headings can be used to navigate to the major sections of the page in order to easily scan the content using the functions within the screen readers. To view a list of headings on the page
- Press Insert and F6 in JAWS; NVDA key, and F7 in NVDA,; and
- Control, Option and U keys in VoiceOver
The phone number, social security number, and ZIP code form fields require data to be in a specific format. The form fields will not allow you to enter text unless it is in the correct format. Some examples include:
- If you are on the ZIP code field, only numerical values can be entered. If you try to enter a letter in the ZIP code field, it will not be entered as a value. ZIP code should be entered as a 5-digit number.
- Phone numbers must be entered with three-digit area code, three digit prefix, and 4-digit number. Only numbers should be typed in this field. Do not put parentheses or dashes in the phone number.
- Required dates, such as Birth Dates, should be entered with the two-digit month followed by the two-digit day and the four-digit year. Only numbers should be typed in this field. Do not add dashes, slashes, spaces, or any other characters.
- Social Security numbers should be entered with numbers only. Do not add dashes, spaces, or any other characters.
Due to a limitation in some screen readers, the full question text may not be read when navigating from form field to form field with the tab key. To read the full text, use the screen reader reading keys (CTRL+Up Arrow in JAWS and NVDA and VO+Shift+Page Up in Voiceover) to move to the question text above the form field. After reading the text, press tab to get back to the form field and fill in the data.
If an error occurs on the page, there will be an error message at the start of the main content (right after the navigation links). Each form field that has an error is also indicated and the screen reader will say “invalid entry” if the form field has an error.
The health and dental plans are displayed in tabular (or table) format that can be sorted using the links on the table headers. If there are more than 10 results, more results can be shown using the next and previous links that are located before the table.
The quick plan filters provide options to select the dollar amount range for the monthly premium and annual deductibles, select the carrier, and select the coverage area. The slider controls to select the dollar amount range currently do not work fully with the keyboard in all browsers. To adjust the values, use the page up or page down key to increase or decrease the value by 200 dollars and the arrow keys to adjust by one cent.
The links on the eligibility screen to edit and view details currently do not work with the keyboard. If you need to edit or view the details of your application, please call the help desk for assistance at 1-877-623-6765, or TTY 1-877-623-7773 for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled.
The screen can be magnified either using the browser functions or using a screen magnifier such as ZoomText or MAGic.
- Internet Explorer: To adjust the zoom, use the View > Zoom menu or hold the CTRL key and press the “+” or “-” keys. To adjust the text size, use View >Text Size menu.
- Firefox: To adjust the zoom, use the View > Zoom menu or hold the CTRL key and press the “+” or “-” buttons. To adjust the text size, select Zoom Text Only in the View >Zoom menu and then change the zoom level.
The links on the eligibility screen to edit and view details currently do not work with voice activation. Use mouse grid or mouse commands to activate these links with mouse click.
Some data form fields within the application require the data to be entered in a particular format (for example, a ZIP code must be 5-digits). The information in the masked form fields currently cannot be entered in using voice recognition software dictation. Use the keyboard to enter the data or call the help desk for assistance at 1-877-623-6765, or TTY 1-877-623-7773 for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled.
When entering amounts into text form fields, do not include commas or a dollar sign. The format should include only numbers (e.g. 27135 and not $27,135).
The information icons are displayed using “i” icon links. These tooltips can be viewed by placing focus on the icon. To place focus on the icon link using speech say “Click information icon” or the “Click link” command and select the number of the corresponding tooltip you would like to see using the “Choose” command.
Please sign in if you have an account.
The Massachusetts Health Connector is the state’s Marketplace for health and dental insurance. Before your get started, be sure to check the Help Center for information, guides, and where to find free, in-person help near you. Click “Get Assistance” or go to MAhealthconnector.org/Help-CenterOpens a new window at any time.
Before you apply for coverage, you can see health and dental plans and prices available in your area. The premiums (costs of plans) you see do not include Advance Premium Tax Credits or other savings. You will need to fill out an application to see if you qualify for help paying for costs.
Try again Try again